Friday, February 28, 2020

Decoder Replacement

Hi folks. Today I was able to get to a small project that I had on my list. I have a Proto 2000 Alco S3 that had been converted to DCC a number of years ago, however when I serviced this locomotive last year, I noticed that the shell was not sitting on the chassis correctly. Upon further inspection , I was able to determine that the 8 pin plug (NEM652) that inserted to the receiving plug on the locomotive had additional height that was not allowing the shell to close all the way. The decoder installed was a Digitrax DZ125PS https://www.digitrax.com/products/retired/mobile-decoders/dz125ps/ . I opted to change this out with a newer DZ126PS https://www.digitrax.com/products/mobile-decoders/dz126ps/ that I had on hand. The difference being is that the DZ126 PS has a plug on the wiring harness that was flatter with no raised areas where the wires were soldiered on. After the decoder was replaced, I placed the locomotive on my programming track and using JMRI , was able to duplicate all CV settings that were on the old DZ125. Afterwards the locomotive was test run and as expected ran superbly. I will be repurposing the DZ125 decoder into a Bachmann On30 that currently has the old poorly performing standard Bachmann decoder. Have a great weekend folks. Till next time...

Proto 2000 Alco S3



Old Digitrax DZ125PS decoder (note extended height of plug going into socket)



New DZ126PS - Note plug into socket is lower profile

No comments: