Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Amherst Big E Show West Springfield, Mass

Hi folks. Well it was an exciting last week. I finally attended my first Amherst Big e Springfield Show http://www.railroadhobbyshow.com/index.php   Several of my model railroad friends have been going for the past several years and have always said that I should go. Well since I retired at the end of last summer, I didn't have any excuses left and all I can say is that I was totally blown away by the size and volumes of merchandise as well as all the superbly done display layouts. Its one of those things that you have to see with your own eyes to believe. I managed to attend a great sign making clinic put on by Bar Mills - always a treat to hear how professional model makers do things to get such realistic results.
I had a shopping list made before I left ( mostly DCC items such as decoders , LED's, wires, etc. However I also spent a bit on other items that caught my eye. The attendance this year was ~21000 so I am sure that this is a huge sales event for the vendors that partake - I guess that is why there is a waiting list for vendors to get into the show. We also were on hand to assist the NBR&N (US Division) setting up their modular layout. It has been approx. 10 years since the last time I have seen it and have to say, it is still as impressive today as it was back then. We also ran into several other model railroaders from the Maritimes and shared a couple of meals and laughs with those folks. We drove down and back ( approx. 13 hours each way) and the weather was totally cooperative- which is the exception rather than the norm this time of year)!. I must say that I plan on attending again. Here are  a couple of photos that I took at the show. Till next time.




No comments: