Friday, November 27, 2020

DCC Workshop

 Hello folks. Recently I received a package from Amazon that enabled me to complete another small job that had been on my "to do" list. Here's what I received:

VCE (10 Pairs) 2.1x5.5mm DC Power Cable Jack Adapter for CCTV Camera and LED Strip - 10 Male&10 Female: Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement


I used these to wire all my DCC programming components at my DCC work area to enable me to rapidly switch my programming track back and forth between my 2 DCC programming systems as well as regular DC. I also am now able to quickly change over from my programming track to my ESU decoder tester as well - no longer will I have to use alligator clips and screw and unscrew wires into the terminal blocks on various components. Originally I was going to make a small panel with a couple of rotary switches , but decided I didn't want to go through all the soldering and such. By using these quick disconnect plugs and neatly using wire clips and zip ties, I was able to make the wiring neat and out of the way for the most part. Here is my DCC work area:




In the above picture, you can see my 2 DCC programming systems 1. Digitrax PR3 (with DCC Specialties Power PAX booster) and 2. ESU Lok Programmer. Both these systems connect to the Netbook PC with  USB Cables ( both neatly coiled and hung on wall hooks in the picture above). I use the PR3 with JMRI and the ESU with the Lok Programmer software. I purchased the Netbook PC ( 10 inch screen) several years ago specifically because of its size and what I intended to use it for - it wasn't brand new, but was reconditioned and had Windows 7 installed on it. Because it is circa 2010 vintage, it sure isn't the fastest PC, but it works great for what I use it for and I love its small compact size. The only software loaded on it is the Lok Programmer software, JMRI and Digitrax Sound Loader software. It still has enough speed that if I want to look something up on the internet that I can without going upstairs to my "normal" laptop. On the shelf above the hardware, I have both HO and N scale test tracks which not only allow me to program decoders, but because both JMRI and ESU Lok Programmer have throttles built in , I can test any changes as well on the fly. In the picture above, my ESU Decoder tester is currently hooked up to the Lok Programmer and the PR3 is connected to the HO Scale test/programming track. I have a small vertical stack of drawers under the left side of the desk and my soldering station on the desktop. Having a well lite area and everything that you need for decoder installs close at hand sure makes for a more relaxed work environment. Till next time....


3 comments:

Doug said...

Wayne
You been keeping busy in this down time

Doug

Wayne Woodland said...

Thanks for the comment Doug. Looks like you got into your account?

Greg's Trainyard said...

Nice, clean setup.