Monday, November 16, 2020

DCC RRamp Meter

 Yesterday, I finally got around to one of those "small" jobs that have been on my list since I built my On30 switching layout several years ago. I had a DCC Specialties RRamp Meter that I purchase a number of years ago from Tonys Train Exchange https://tonystrains.com/product/dcc-specialties-rrampmeter-ii

This meter was installed on my old HO scale layout ( pictures can be seen in some old blog entries pre 2011). When I had it installed on my old layout, I only had one set of wires connect to the rails - this only showed the track voltage. I had always had in mind to install it properly so that it also showed the amperage draw as well, but never did get around to it before that layout was torn down. The meter was stored in a box ( along with several other electrical components such as PSX circuit breakers, DCC plug in panels , etc) up until a couple of days ago when I decide to install it properly on my new layout. I guess one of the reasons that I delayed, was that the thought of cutting into my fascia ( and the risk of "messing it up" didn't appeal greatly to me. I went online and found the proper cutting template and printed it off. I then cut out the template, carefully cutting the hole out ( extra care and patience doing this pays off when the actual fascia cutting starts) and then taping it into position on the fascia. I used a small hole saw in my drill to make the initial hole which I then enlarge with a keyhole saw followed by trimming with a Stanley carpet knife with a new sharp blade. It worked out well and the meter fit in perfectly. In order for both the amperage and voltage displays to work, I wired it so that the left side took the direct output of the Lenz command station and the output on the right side of the meter then went to my PSX 1 circuit break . The output of the circuit breaker then feeds the main DCC bus wires. Luckily I had two unused terminals on the main terminal block located under the layout - this made the wiring quick and easy to do. The job took me a couple of hours to do and the install maintains the "clean " look of the fascia that I like. Now I can keep an eye on the electrical status of my layout at a quick glance. Till next time....





No comments: