Monday, December 30, 2019

HO Gondolas

Hi Folks. Happy New Year!! Although it was a holiday week, I managed to get some quality modeling time in. I assembled 2 Proto 2000 Canadian National Gondola kits that I acquired off of Ebay last year. I remember that I purchased a couple of these when they first came out in the late 1990's - early 2000's. I sold these off several years ago when I made the switch to On30. The price for these kits on Ebay is now typically more than what they were at my local hobby shop back then, but when compare to the price for latest ready assembled kits by some of the leading manufacturers, they are still a bargain. As well, you get the joy of assembling them, which is what I enjoy - there is enjoyment and reward in taking your time and carefully assembling a good freight car kit. I find these kits although now the better part of 20 years old, still hold up well as far as level of detail and the lettering quality etc to the latest and greatest. I made a couple of additions to these ones - added Kadee #148's, added Rapido 33 inch smooth back wheels to the existing trucks, as well as added a laser cut wood floor deck (kit #322) by American Model Builders, which will receive a India ink/alcohol stain to give it an aged look.  Also as part of this build, I assembled 2 pipe load laser cut kits (kit #209) by American Model Builders

 http://www.laserkit.com/laserkit.htm

I have several more (in different road names/paint schemes) to assemble. Will post pictures of those ones when I have them done. Have a great 2020 and check back often and leave a comment. Till next time.


Pipe Loads being switched by CN 0-8-0  # 8415

Pipe Load

Pipe Load with Bracing and Blocking

No comments: