Sunday, March 8, 2015

Track Time

Hi Folks:
I have been working on trackage these last couple of weeks ( albeit at a slow pace). My track and turnouts are by  Micro Engineering  - code 83 On30 narrow gauge track. Although I could have used HO scale track, I decided to go with the ME On30 track, as it looks better with the correct tie spacing and was designed to be used with On30 narrow gauge.. That being said, I found it a bit more challenging to use this track as I found it more delicate than the old PECO turnout  Atlas flex track combo I used on my old HO scale layout. On top of the track and turnouts being more delicate , the ME

rail joiners are much more difficult to install and you really have to be careful not to damage the track (and turnouts ) when installing them - don't ask me how I know. I found a method on the web that aids in installing these little rascals. You really have to prepare both the rail joiner and also file the receiving rail slightly in order to get them to connect successfully. In this weeks photo , you can see that the track and turnouts are only temporarily installed and held down with push tacks. What I will do next is to mark the track centerlines and then remove the trackage in sections. N scale cork roadbed will then be installed - I decided to go with the N Scale roadbed at the suggestion of a fellow On30 modeller who used it on his home layout. I really think the low profile looks good with On30. Once I have the roadbed installed, I will paint my track using a dark brown camo type paint - again I found this idea on the web and it seems to be getting used a lot and it looks really good from the pictures I have seen. Once all the track is painted, it will be reinstalled permanently. The next step after that will of course be the wiring. So on that note, time to get busy......till next time.

1 comment:

Doug Whitman said...

Wayne
thanks for the update. It is looking good.
Doug