Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Power and Control

Hi Folks: Progress has slowed a bit these past few weeks (too busy shoveling snow   ugh!!).  I have painted the front fascia and spent some time running the DCC power bus and the control bus wiring. The decision was made to reuse my Lenz DCC system from my previous layout, both from a cost perspective and also due to the fact that shortly before putting the unit in storage back in 2011, I had both the command station and my LH 100 throttle updated to version 3.6 of the software (which is still the current Lenz version). My LH 90 is still at a version 3.5, and I may send that in shortly to be updated, however even at 3.5 it does everything that I require it to do. For the power bus on the layout, I decided to go with 14 gauge stranded wire that I bought at an auto parts store for a reasonable price. The power bus goes from one end of the layout to the other and is terminated at each end using simple terminal blocks. When it comes time to wire track, I will be using 22 gauge solid core wire, soldered to the rails approx. at ~ 3 foot intervals and connected to the power bus using insulation displacement (aka suitcase) type connectors. This is slightly heavier wire than needed for feeder wires, however, I had an abundance of it available.  As mentioned in one of my previous posts, I have elected to install a DCC specialities PSX 1 circuit breaker , due to the fact that most of my locos including my 2 new Bachmann Whitcombs are Tsunami equipped and having this piece of circuitry will allow them to recover better should a short occur. The DCC control bus is a simple affair with one RJ type cable extending from the Lenz LZV 100 command station to a single fascia mounted control panel located in the middle of the layout. I placed it so that I could reach either end of the layout while remaining plugged in. Also installed was a DCC specialities programming booster which will be connected to one of the sidings

via a double pole toggle switch to act as the programming track. I tried to keep all the wiring under the layout as neat as possible by cutting circular holes in the bench work to act as passageways for the cabling. I also utilized cable clamps, terminal blocks and wire ties to keep everything neat. The command station, power supply, and programming booster are all mounted on a small shelf  under the layout that is easily accessible, but keeping everything out of site. Till next time......

1 comment:

Doug Whitman said...

Wayne
thanks for the update. Nice work. Soon you will be operating.
Doug