Monday, October 29, 2007

More Trees and More Frustration




Hi Folks;




Well not much new since the last post. One thing that struck me this week was how quickly landscapping an area can be a "tree swallowing act". This past Saturday, I flocked (with Woodland Scenics Green Blend) about 80 trees and "planted" them as well. Needless to say, the area looks better, but one would never guess that there were several dozen new trees in that area!!


On another note, I have come to an impass on scenicking the mine area - it is like I have become obsessed or something - my wife would totally agree. The problem is ground cover. I dont want to use ground foam and have spent many hours these last two weeks scouring the internet for pictures/ methods of doing this. I have seen many nice layout pics on the net of groundcover for industrial type areas - It seems like using real dirt is common. After reading about George Sellios using ball diamond clay, I even visited the local field - no luck it was just course sand type material. Nothing in Walthers catalogue looks suitable - so here I am frustrated and at a loss!!!!




On a more positive note, I installed several throttle holders around the layout recently. I stole (woops - borrowed) the idea from a modular group at a local train show that I attended a couple of years ago. The great part is that they are cell phone holders with adjustable sides that hold my throttles nicely - and the best thing is that I aquired them at one of those low price dollar store outlets. I have included a photo to show one in place. Till next time....

1 comment:

Scott Jay said...

The idea did not originate with the UMG. We probably stole it from someone else. But they do work very well.

It'll be red but next time you are home look in the back of a potato truck. The fine soil left over is perfect for bare model soil. The color may not suit your locale.

You could also try painting/dyeing fine sawdust to the color you want. I've used watered down tole paints for this in the past.

Scott