Friday, December 18, 2020

Freight Car Friday

 Hi folks. Even though I had some customer work with my DCC business this past week, I did manage to complete a freight car kit. This was another Proto 2000 Gondola in Canadian Pacific script scheme. I bought it last year off of a local second hand dealer at a train show. I believe he gets a lot of his stuff from estate sales. Interesting to note that the old original price sticker on it was from "Hobby West".  This was a Hobby Store in Calgary, Alberta that had a large Model Railroading section in it - at least it did many years ago when I was living in Calgary back in the mid 80's and use to go there. I went online to see if it was still there , but using the timeline feature of google earth , I was able to determine that  it closed a couple of years ago -  Here's a google maps link showing the closed train store:

5011 Macleod Trail SW - Google Maps

Kinda makes me wonder how this kit ended up down here in Nova Scotia after it was probably purchased there back in the late 90's which is approx when this kit would have been new. Here is a picture of the finished kit - only mods were a laser cut wood floor, and Kadee #148's - things left are: I am waiting on an order of Rapido wheel sets to swap the original ones out and to give the wood floor and india ink and alcohol wash.....Till next time









No comments: