Sunday, February 3, 2008

New Grade Crossing


Well now that my coal mine has recently been completed, I had to install an access road to the mine. The only place that I could easily install a road, was over a curved section of track. Blair Line recently released a series of laser cut grade crossing for curves. They come in several different radi. I installed one of their 24" models to allow access to the mine. The road is dirt, so it was easy to build up to allow a smooth transition over the crossing. I weathered the crossing with A West "Weather It" aging solution, which gives the crossing a nice aged look. The picture shows Maine Central GP38 #258 about to go over the crossing. Till next time....


4 comments:

Will said...

For a relatively low traffic crossing, could one get away with just dirt? Or are boards really required?

Scott Jay said...

How would they have done dirt between the rails? Would they have had something in place to prevent the dirt from piling up against the inside of the rails?

The crossing looks good Wayne!

Scott

OlavM said...

Wayne! Great work - I look forward to build my own New River Mine, you give me inspiration! As for your scene the only thing that misses is some weathering on the truck.

Trucks from the mine could just stop on the tracks with no boards between tracks, so I agree with Scott here.
Olav, Norway

Chris Lyon said...

Hi Wayne. Just had a peek and it looks like the railroad is really progressing. Your new river mine looks great and I like your crossing.